Thursday, March 27, 2008

Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2008 Competition

Finally, I sent my entries for this year's Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2008 competition. The closing date is 31st March 2008. This is one of the most prestigious wildlife photography competition. I had always wanted to join it ever since I knew about it. So, this year I finally decided to enter it. It's not cheap to enter this competition. Each adult need to pay a 20 Pound entry fee, about s$60... :( With digital photos, joining the competition now is much more easier. If using conventional films I would need to transfer them to slides and then mail over which will take longer time. Also the entry fees will be more expensive, 27 pounds and the closing date earlier, 24th March.
There are 11 adult categories and 4 awards, with the overall winner named Wildlife Photographer of the Year. The winner will walk away with 10,000 pounds. Each category winner will get 500 pounds for 1st prize and 250 pounds for 2nd prize. Altogether, I submitted 5 photos in 4 categories: 2 for animal behaviour - birds, one each for animal behaviour - all other animals, urban and garden wildlife and creative visions of nature. Hopefully I followed the rules stated, otherwise all my entries will be rejected... sob sob. If I really win something, then my Panasonic FZ20 will break the dominance of Canon and Nikon.
Let's hope that the judges will open their eyes big big and take notice of my entries. At the moment I'll not show what are the photos I had submitted lest I broke any of the rules. If successful I will be contacted my 30 June 2008. So wish myself all the best.