Friday, May 23, 2008

Life In Cold Blood

This is the title of David Attenborough's latest and last production of his "Life" series. This will also be his final work... sob sob... because at 82 years old, he had decided to retire. He said that he no longer had the urge to start the day climbing trees. There was a short article in today's The Straits Times about him and the series. That's when I knew that he is retiring. This latest series features the amphibians and reptiles... cold-blooded creatures hence the title. I managed to get hold of the DVD which I ordered all the way from UK. Even though it is in English pounds, I reckon that it will still be cheaper than the ones selling at HMV. However, after they failed to deliver what I ordered twice in a row, I now have doubts buying DVD from them. Thankfully, I got replacements from them for free. I still have one DVD order with them - Wild China. Hope I could receive it the first time round this time.

I grew up watching his documentary. Through his documentaries I learnt about the natural world and animal behaviour. In a sense he could say to be my teacher. I have DVD of almost all the series that he hosted. As long as it is a series hosted by him, it is "chopped, stamped, confirmed" to be a good series. Even if he is only a narrator for the series like Blue Planet and Planet Earth. His series are really educational; I just know that the difference between a frog and a toad is that a toad's skin is drier than a frog. That's why some are called frogs and others toad. Not only being educational, his series also sheds new light on animal behaviour and bringing audiences to places that people seldom go. I really admire him being able to go to all these places and seeing all these animals in the wild. Just imagine being able to see the birds of paradise in their natural habitat....hmmm.... that will be a dream come true for me.

Oh yes... for your info, he has an equally famous elder brother... the director Lord Richard Attenborough. I had a feeling they are related long time ago. It was confirmed after reading the article in the Straits Times.

I got the DVD a few days ago and had since watched 2 episodes. It is really super. Life in Cold Blood will be shown in Arts Central in late November. Hope that those who see the show will have a new appreciation of the cold-blooded animals that shared our planet.
My greatest wish will be to have a picture taken with him...hee
Here's what I had photographed. I have yet to encounter snakes. Hence, no photos of them in my collection.





No comments: